Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Emma's visit at BC Children's Hospital.

Luckily we have more happy shots of our stay than the unhappy ones. Emma had an oxygen mask for the first half of her stay but then after her not getting enough oxygen they had to put an oxygen nasal tube on her... Woah, I don't think I have or hopefully will ever hear her scream and cry that loud! Poor thing... It was administered at 3:00 am the evening before last. I had to keep her swaddled so she wouldn't rip it off. She cried herself to sleep in my arms. Brutal!

The next day a child care coordinator came by and asked what Emma's favourite thing was to play with... Water of course! And they made it happen! Shortly after they admitted us up into paediatrics. The room was large, with a crib and single bed, a beautiful view and not only a sink for Emma to play with water but our very own bathroom. Children's Hospital is amazing, the doctors, nurses, interns and staff all deserve medals. They're true heros.

Notes: Food wasn't half bad... Emma loved the beef and macaroni, mini carrot muffins and her new favourite... rice crispies with milk! She also learned 2 new words... "STUCK" and "NO" funny enough?! Wonder why... LOL!


They took us into Emergency immediately. Now the process begins of how to keep a 16 month old busy...




Fast asleep at around 2:00 am.




Fun time!


Emma is like new other than a snotty nose and a raspy cough. Children should be between 92-98 (resting/sleeping) and 95-98+ (healthy, active and awake). Emma was fluctuating between 85 to 89 three days ago and struggling with her breathing. She has a cold/virus and her little lungs just had a hard time fighting it off. Many parents know it as Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV). Ryan had this as well when he was little.



Room number 18 in BCCH Pediatrics. Great view!




Feeling much better at this point. Cruising around the room with her heart monitor still hooked up



Having a blast with the faucet in our room.



OK... Time to go home now... I miss my big brother...

5 comments:

  1. i love it!! shes so adorable ! i laughed at the mention of the food ..we spent 22 days at childrens and when my son discovered he had to go back for another 23 days he was SOO EXCITED to see his nurse emily and to have more of the food ..lol he loved it .. childrens is an amazing amazing place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my 2 1/2 month old son recently had open heart surgery there and when I saw the pictures it brought me right back. I wish to had never been but I couldn't imagine being anywhere better. The nurses and doctors are absolutley amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Curious to know how you both found our blog? I love hearing about others experiences through Children's and motherhood in general...

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a group of staff and family members who volunteer their time to make BC Children's hosptial a better place through participation in the Partners in Care Family Advisory it was truly delightful to read your story and experience. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having had open-heart surgery in 1985, this brings back so many memories for me. I remember my stay at the Children's hospital very well even though I had just turned 4 years old. My parents were told that I wouldn't remember much of my stay, but I remember pretty much all of it. The staff were kind, and gentle to us kids. I can still remember being put under before my surgery, they asked me to identify sounds such as a car honking, or birds chirping and so on. I wish I could talk to those people back than to say how grateful I am, 25 years later, to be alive, thanks to them. I hope that one day I will be able to talk to someone who was at the hospital when I was, so that I can thank them personally for giving me a second chance at life!

    ReplyDelete